Imagine not having the necessary skills to communicate and interact with your friends, family, co-workers, or the cashier at the supermarket. How would it impact on your ability to achieve your daily or weekly tasks?
We often underestimate the importance of our social and communication skills, even though we rely on them heavily to get through our day. While social and communication skills are obviously used to build relationships and bond with other people, we sometimes forget that they are also important for growth in many other areas of our life, including:
- Developing our sense of self and building self-esteem.
- Understanding other people and why they behave the way they do.
- Understanding how other people see us and our behaviour.
- Developing emotional regulation skills so we can remain calm and in control of ourselves
- Establishing problem solving, conflict management, and team building abilities